Who would have thought twenty-eight years ago a boy by the name of Mark Zuckerberg would change the world forever. You may be thinking, “Wow, Erin. Pump the breaks; I wouldn’t go that far.” But, if you think about it, Facebook has altered our lives someway, somehow.
For some, it’s a way to connect a brand with its consumers. For others, Facebook is simply a creeping tool. (You can stop with the deer-in-the-headlights look; we are all guilty of it.)
Bottom line, Facebook has recreated the way in which we interact. I mean, it has 845 million monthly active users and is to start selling stock to the public on the Nasdaq Stock Market this Friday. No big deal.
With that said, let’s give the father of the social network a “hip, hip, hooray” for his big 2-8 and celebrate with these 5 Facebook Faves that have changed the way we communicate:
- The ability to share content and news— With a click of a button, you can share statuses, photos and/or links, allowing brands and businesses to create buzz about a certain event, campaign or cause.
- You can connect virtually with just about anyone—No matter if you’re Plain Jane or Starbucks, you can target and connect with specific key audiences and markets. How many times do you see on TV or on in ad, “Like us on Facebook,” or hear from someone, “Are you on Facebook?” People love to interact, be in the know and share information—Facebook is the triple threat that gives individuals those options.
- Business and brands have a new way to engage— Consumers and “fans” no longer have to pick up the phone or send an email to share their thoughts; they can resort to a brand’s Facebook page to give feedback about a product, create conversation with other fans and post photos or links that highlight a given brand. If you think about it, Facebook is a lot like a diary—you document events right as they happen, giving individuals a feeling of belonging and ownership to a company or brand. By creating that sense of community, a business is not only creating a conversation but also a reputation.
- My grandma has Facebook—Need I say more?
- Facebook allows brands to think outside of the box—In my eyes, Facebook is a Mecca where awareness, interaction and engagement all come together to form a community of people with similar likes and interests. Not a day goes by where I don’t see a Fan Page post a contest or link to an article. Facebook is all about what’s next—What’s next for the company, what’s next for fans, what’s next for the industry? The sky is the limit for brands to explore new ways to get consumers and fans excited for that next big thing, whatever it may be.
Mark Zuckerberg (and company) has come a long way since its days of being accessible to select networks. Now, the worldwide phenomenon is the go-to social media platform that has given us the best gift of all: the gift of communication. Now, that’s something worth celebrating. Happy big 2-8, Marky Z! Oh, and Mark, don’t forget to wear your party hat and eat a big piece of cake today. You deserve it.